Brown Butter Mashed Cauliflower
Creamy Brown Butter Mashed Cauliflower with Fried Sage is the perfect side dish any night of the year!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 Servings
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- olive oil
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 5 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk or milk of your choice
- 2 pounds cauliflower core removed and roughly cut into florets
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Crispy Fried Sage
Add 1/2-inch of olive oil to a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the sage leaves to the hot oil and fry for 10 to 20 seconds or until crispy,flipping over once.
Remove the leaves and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Discard the oil.
Melt butter in a heavy-gauge saucepan with a light-colored bottom over medium heat.
Gently simmer the butter until it turns light brown, about 4 to 5 minutes, swirling pan often.
Remove from heat. Reserve 1 Tablespoon in a small bowl, set aside. Stir cream and milk into brown butter, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
Place 1-inch of water in the bottom of a large pot. Place a strainer and then the cauliflower florets to the pot.
Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot and reduce heat slightly to a gentle boil. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until cauliflower is very tender. Drain the cauliflower and return to the same pot.
Using an immersion blender or hand mixer, mash the cauliflower until broken apart.
Add half of the butter-cream mixture and blend more. Add the remaining butter-cream mixture and blend until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- If stored properly, mashed cauliflower should last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, store in the freezer.
- To boil instead of steam: Add cauliflower to a pot of boiling water with enough water to submerge it. Cook the whole head of cauliflower for 15 minutes or florets for 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful not to over cook.
- 12 carbs - 5 fiber = 7 net carbs
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 695mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 768IU | Vitamin C: 109mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 1mg